This post contains affiliate links. If you follow a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost for you.
With its PowerSeeker models, Celestron presents a range of great value to performance entry-level telescopes. The PowerSeekers are ideal for exploring the night sky and are a great learning aid or an inspirational gift for anyone who has always been interested in the wonders of the universe.
Celestron PowerSeeker 80EQ Refractor Telescope
The Powerseeker 80 EQ refractor telescope’s quality multi-coated optics are great for observing the moon. Craters, mountains, mare, and cracks in the lunar surface become visible in detail. Observing the great planets of the solar system reveals lines in Jupiter’s atmosphere and Saturn’s rings.
The 3-inch aperture has enough light-gathering power to explore faint celestial objects such as gas nebulae, star clusters, and galaxies.
Features of the Celestron PowerSeeker 80EQ
- 3.1 inches /80mm aperture
- 35 inches / 900mm focal length
- Focal ratio F/11
- Resolution 1.4 arcseconds
- Limiting Stellar Magnitude 11
- Fraunhofer objective
- 2 Eyepieces, 20 mm = 45x and 4 mm = 225x
- Barlow lens: 3x
- Finderscope: 5×24
- German equatorial mount CG-1
The Celestron PowerSeeker 80 EQ features a 3 inch/80mm multicoated Fraunhofer lens that provides high-quality images. A Fraunhofer lens is an achromatic lens made from two different types of optical glass that are separated by an air gap. This type of achromat is designed to limit chromatic and spherical aberration and increases the optical performance of a telescope.
The 35 inches/900mm long focal length of the collecting lens allows a high magnification. Two included eyepieces with f 20mm and f 4mm provide a magnification power of 45x respectively 225x power. The three Barlow lenses can be used to multiply the magnification power considerably.
However, as the 4mm ocular already pushes the magnification beyond the highest useful magnification of 160x, they may only be useful a the best of atmospheric conditions. a 12mm and a 6mm eyepiece would be sensible additions.
Its focal ratio of 11 and the refractors unobstructed beam path make it well suited for observation of the sun (USE SUN FILTER!), moon, double star systems, and planets.
The telescopes 5×24 finder scope is most useful at aiming the instrument at interesting objects in the night sky.
Celestron’s CG-1 German Equatorial Mount
The PowerSeeker 80 is fitted to a light German Equatorial Mount, which is intended to be aligned with celestial north, (parallel to the Earth’s axis of rotation) so it is easy to track moving objects in the night sky with the fine adjustment of just one axle.
An electric motor for precise automatic tracking is an optional addition. With the motor, the instrument is suitable to start experimenting with astrophotography. The Powerseeker 80 EQ refractor telescope comes with a connection to fit adapters to attach your SLR camera or digital camera.
The pre-assembled aluminum alloy tripod carries mount and telescope in a stable and low-vibration design. An accessory allows for storing important accessories and has them within easy reach.
- Powerful optics
- Quality coated Fraunhofer objective
- Easy to set up and adjust
- Suitable for astronomical observations, earth observation, and astrophotography.
- Upgradeable for astrophotography with motor and camera adapter
- Great value telescope for beginners
- For beginners only
Verdict Celestron PowerSeeker 80EQ Refractor Telescope
This telescope is suitable for beginners to take their first steps in sky observation. Watching the moon is always an experience, even a small instrument will reveal details of the mare and craters on the moon. You can also use this telescope to spot some larger details on the planets, like the great red spot on Jupiter or Saturn’s ring, some bright objects such as galaxies and nebulae may also be worthwhile to observe. A telescope with lenses is also suitable for observing interesting objects on Earth.
All in all a great refractor telescope that gives every beginner many opportunities to explore the celestial world. The telescope is available for a really affordable price considering what is included.
- PERFECT BEGINNERS TELESCOPE: The Celestron PowerSeeker 80EQ is an easy-to-use and powerful telescope. The PowerSeeker series is designed to give the first-time telescope user the perfect combination of quality, value, features, and power.
- MANUAL GERMAN EQUATORIAL MOUNT: Navigate the sky with our refractor telescope. It features a German Equatorial mount with a slow-motion altitude rod for smooth and accurate pointing. Adjust rod to desired position, then easily secure by tightening cross knob.
- COMPACT AND PORTABLE: This telescope for adults and kids to be used together is compact, lightweight, and portable. Take the telescope to your favorite campsite or dark sky observing site, or simply the backyard.
- MULTIPLE ACCESSORIES: The Celestron PowerSeeker 80EQ Telescope features 2 eyepieces (20mm and 4mm), erect image diagonal, finderscope, plus a 3x Barlow lens to triple the power of each. Accessories also include a FREE download of one of the top consumer rated astronomy software programs.
- UNBEATABLE WARRANTY AND CUSTOMER SUPPORT: Buy with confidence from the world’s #1 telescope brand, based in California since 1960. You’ll also receive a 2-year warranty and unlimited access to technical support from our team of US-based experts.
Last update on 2021-03-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API