With its PowerSeeker models, Celestron presents a range of great value to performance entry-level telescopes. The PowerSeekers are ideal for exploring the night sky and are a great learning aid or an inspirational gift for anyone who has always been interested in the wonders of the universe.
Celestron PowerSeeker 80EQ Refractor Telescope
The Powerseeker 80 EQ refractor telescope’s quality multi-coated optics are great for observing the moon. Craters, mountains, mare, and cracks in the lunar surface become visible in detail. Observing the great planets of the solar system reveals lines in Jupiter’s atmosphere and Saturn’s rings.
The 3-inch aperture has enough light-gathering power to explore faint celestial objects such as gas nebulae, star clusters, and galaxies.
Features of the Celestron PowerSeeker 80EQ
- 3.1 inches /80mm aperture
- 35 inches / 900mm focal length
- Focal ratio F/11
- Resolution 1.4 arcseconds
- Limiting Stellar Magnitude 11
- Fraunhofer objective
- 2 Eyepieces, 20 mm = 45x and 4 mm = 225x
- Barlow lens: 3x
- Finderscope: 5×24
- German equatorial mount CG-1
The Celestron PowerSeeker 80 EQ features a 3 inch/80mm multicoated Fraunhofer lens that provides high-quality images. A Fraunhofer lens is an achromatic lens made from two different types of optical glass that are separated by an air gap. This type of achromat is designed to limit chromatic and spherical aberration and increases the optical performance of a telescope.
The 35 inches/900mm long focal length of the collecting lens allows a high magnification. Two included eyepieces with f 20mm and f 4mm provide a magnification power of 45x respectively 225x power. The three Barlow lenses can be used to multiply the magnification power considerably.
However, as the 4mm ocular already pushes the magnification beyond the highest useful magnification of 160x, they may only be useful a the best of atmospheric conditions. a 12mm and a 6mm eyepiece would be sensible additions.
Its focal ratio of 11 and the refractors’ unobstructed beam path make it well suited for observation of the sun (USE SUN FILTER!), moon, double star systems, and planets.
The telescopes’ 5×24 finder scope is most useful at aiming the instrument at interesting objects in the night sky.
Celestron’s CG-1 German Equatorial Mount
The PowerSeeker 80 is fitted to a light German Equatorial Mount, which is intended to be aligned with celestial north, (parallel to the Earth’s axis of rotation) so it is easy to track moving objects in the night sky with the fine adjustment of just one axle.
An electric motor for precise automatic tracking is an optional addition. With the motor, the instrument is suitable to start experimenting with astrophotography. The Powerseeker 80 EQ refractor telescope comes with a connection to fit adapters to attach your SLR camera or digital camera.
The pre-assembled aluminum alloy tripod carries mount and telescope in a stable and low-vibration design. An accessory allows for storing important accessories and has them within easy reach.
- Powerful optics
- Quality coated Fraunhofer objective
- Easy to set up and adjust
- Suitable for astronomical observations, earth observation, and astrophotography.
- Upgradeable for astrophotography with motor and camera adapter
- Great value telescope for beginners
- For beginners only
Verdict Celestron PowerSeeker 80EQ Refractor Telescope
This telescope is suitable for beginners to take their first steps in sky observation. Watching the moon is always an experience, even a small instrument will reveal details of the mare and craters on the moon. You can also use this telescope to spot some larger details on the planets, like the great red spot on Jupiter or Saturn’s ring, some bright objects such as galaxies and nebulae may also be worthwhile to observe. A telescope with lenses is also suitable for observing interesting objects on Earth.
All in all a great refractor telescope gives every beginner many opportunities to explore the celestial world. The telescope is available for a really affordable price considering what is included.
- PERFECT ENTRY-LEVEL TELESCOPE: The Celestron PowerSeeker 80EQ is an easy-to-use and powerful telescope. This 80mm refractor telescope offers enough light gathering ability to see planets, the Moon's craters, distant stars, the Orion Nebula, and more.
- MANUAL GERMAN EQUATORIAL MOUNT: With its slow-motion altitude rod, the German Equatorial mount allows you to navigate the sky with ease. Find celestial objects quickly and follow them smoothly & accurately as they appear to drift across the night sky.
- COMPACT AND PORTABLE: The ideal telescope for adults and kids to use together, the PowerSeeker is compact, lightweight, and portable. Take it to your favorite campsite, a dark sky observing site, or simply the backyard.
- MULTIPLE ACCESSORIES: The Celestron PowerSeeker 80EQ Telescope comes with 2 quality eyepieces (20mm and 4mm) plus a 3x Barlow lens to triple the power of each. You'll also receive a FREE download of one of the top-rated astronomy software programs.
- UNBEATABLE WARRANTY & SUPPORT: Buy with confidence from Celestron, a leading telescope brand in California since 1960. Your purchase includes a 2-Year US Warranty and unlimited support from our team of US-based experts.