The AstroMaster 130EQ is a powerful and very popular beginner’s reflector telescope. The high quality of the optical elements used provides an unusually sharp and high-contrast image for this telescope class. It is easy to use for beginners thanks to its simple design and makes operation intuitive.
Celestron AstroMaster 130 EQ Reflector Telescope
Celestron has a reputation for making for good telescopes for over 50 years. Their range of instruments includes different kinds of telescopes for beginners to advanced astronomy telescopes. The AstroMaster 130 EQ with its 5 inches (130mm) Newtonian mirror has considerable light-gathering power. It is a great all-around instrument for viewing details on the moon and planets as well as proving fascinating views of nebulae, star clusters, and distant galaxies.
Features of the Celestron AstroMaster 130 EQ
- 5.1 inches /130 mm large aperture
- 25 inches / 650 mm focal length
- Focal ratio F/5
- Resolution 0.88 arcseconds
- Limiting Stellar Magnitude 13
- Parabolic main mirror and secondary mirrors fully adjustable.
- 2 Eyepieces, 20mm 33x and 10mm 65x
- Red dot viewfinder
- Equatorial mount CG-3
The Celestron 31045 AstroMaster 130 EQ has a primary mirror diameter of 5.1 inches or 130 mm and a focal length of 25 inches/650mm. The fast focal ratio of 5 is just right for viewing faint deep space objects and stars of up to about 13 magnitudes. The reflector telescope has a resolution of about 1 arcsecond, it provides details viewing Saturn’s rings as well as popular double-star systems.
The two included eyepieces with f 20mm and f 10mm provide a magnification power of 33x respective 65x power. Even though the manufacturer’s specs suggest the highest useful magnification of 260x maximum, this power only theoretical because of atmospheric disturbances. But getting extra eyepieces at around 6.5mm and 4.5 mm to push the magnification to 100x and 150x power may be useful at times to view some objects in more detail.
The telescope has a Star Pointer attached to the main tube, it projects a red dot into the field of view and makes it easy to find interesting objects in the night sky. The pack also comes with a Software ” The Sky” Level 1, which includes sky maps, images, and data of over 10,000 interesting objects.
Celestron’s CG-3 Equatorial Mount
The AstroMaster 130 EQ mounts onto the Celestron CG-3 equatorial mount. The fully height-adjustable and pre-assembled tripod is stable and provides low vibration support to the telescope. Accessories can be kept within easy reach of the accessory tray.
The hour axis of this equatorial mount is to be aligned with celestial north, (parallel to the Earth’s axis of rotation) so it is easy to follow objects in the sky with the fine adjustment of just one axle. Precise hands-free tracking is available with the optional motor drive, making the whole instrument also suitable for the beginning astrophotographer.
- Powerful optics
- Quality coated mirrors and eyepiece lenses
- Easy to set up and adjust
- Red dot viewfinder for easy finding of objects
- Upgradeable for astrophotography with motor and camera adapter
- Great value telescope for beginners
- The Tripod is a bit light
Verdict of the Celestron AstroMaster 130 EQ
If you looking to find a good and reasonably priced telescope for amateurs and beginners, this Celestron reflector telescope is a great choice. As in all telescopes from Celestron, high-quality optical elements are used which provide sharp and high-contrast images even in this beginner’s price class.
The red dot finder helps to quickly find interesting objects. Sufficient magnification allows for viewing details on the moon and seeing the planets of our solar system. A 5-inch mirror is respectable for a beginner’s instrument and can gather enough light to spot deep space objects such as galaxies and nebulae.
The tripod is a bit lightly build. A more robust heavier design would reduce vibrations benefiting astrophotography.
But overall a very affordably priced telescope, the AstroMaster 130 EQ provides clear detailed views of the moon and the planets as well as to some deep space objects. A great Telescope to get started in astronomy.
- POWERFUL TELESCOPE FOR ASTRONOMY BEGINNERS: The Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ Newtonian reflector is ideal the telescope for beginners. It features fully-coated glass optics, a full-height tripod, 2 eyepieces, and a StarPointer red dot finderscope.
- NEWTONIAN REFLECTOR OPTICAL DESIGN: With a large, 130mm aperture, the AstroMaster 130EQ can gather enough light to see our Solar System and beyond. View Saturn’s rings, Jupiter’s Galilean moons, the Moon's craters, and more.
- EASY TO SET UP AND USE: This is a great telescope for kids and adults to use together. It features a manual German Equatorial mount for smooth and accurate pointing. Setup is quick and easy, with no tools required.
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: We’ve included 2 eyepieces (20mm and 10mm), a full-height tripod, and a StarPointer red dot finderscope. You'll also receive a FREE download of one of the top-rated astronomy software programs.
- UNBEATABLE WARRANTY & SUPPORT: Buy with confidence from Celestron, a leading telescope brand in California since 1960. Purchasing from an Authorized Dealer on Amazon gives you a 2-Year US Warranty and unlimited support from our team of US-based experts.