This post contains affiliate links. If you follow a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost for you.
The Classic Dobsonian Telescope is considered a great entry-level telescope as it is about the best all-rounder at an affordable price. It provides way more light gathering power and resolution than a similarly priced refractor telescope. With its comparatively long focal length, the Orion 8945 SkyQuest XT8 telescope performs great viewing the moon and planets as well as deep space objects such as galaxies and nebulae.
Orion 8945 SkyQuest XT8 Classic Dobsonian Telescope
Quite a popular entry-level telescope at an affordable price is the 8″ Orion 8945 SkyQuest XT8 Classic Dobsonian Telescope. The Newton mirror with a large aperture of 8 inches (203mm) and a focal length of 47 inches (1200mm) make this powerful Dobsonian worth to consider. It is easy to set up and straightforward to use.
- 8 “/ 200mm opening
- 47″/ 1200mm focal length
- Focal ratio of 5.9
- Parabolic primary mirror
- Enhanced-reflectivity mirror coating
- 2 ” ocular tube, with reducing sleeve to 1.25″
- 25mm Sirius Plossl eyepiece provides a 48-power
- Stable Dobsonian mount
The 8 “Dobson telescope from Orion has a 8″/200mm aperture, with a focal length of 47″/1200mm. Thus, the telescope has a medium focal ratio of 5.9 which is suitable for observing planets as well as faint deep space objects and stars of up to 14 magnitudes.
High optical performance is provided by the telescopes parabolic main mirror with its Enhanced-reflectivity coatings boosting the reflectivity of the mirror to 94%. The high reflectivity, focusing as much light as possible to the eyepiece as well as the high Resolving power produces crisp and bright images for viewing.
A magnification of 48x is provided by the one included 25mm Sirius Plossl eyepiece. High-quality lenses guaranty for sharp images high in contrast. Additional eyepieces with varying focal lengths can be ordered and are a valuable addition.
Pointing the telescope to objects of interest is easy with the help of the Orion EZ Finderscope which is attached to the main tube. When it is adjusted and aligned to the telescope a small red dot in its center helps to find objects quickly.
Thanks to the stable Dobsonian mount and quality bearings, the telescope moves and pivots smoothly horizontally, as well as vertically without jerks and wobbles.
- powerful instrument
- great value for performance
- stable Dobsonian mount
- large but still portable
- only one eyepiece included
- unsuitable for photography
- bulky and heavy
The 8″ Orion 8945 SkyQuest XT8 Classic Dobsonian Telescope is a great value telescope which is particularly suitable for beginners in astronomy, but also for the ambitious amateur astronomer. Its medium focal ratio makes it suitable for observing details on the moon, viewing planets as well as weak stars clusters, nebulae, and galaxies. Additional eyepieces, as well as sun and moon filters, are sensible additions.
The large 8 inch Newtonians with affordable Dobsonian mounts are great entry-level telescopes for the beginning hobby astronomer.
- Item may ship in more than one box and may arrive separately
- A large aperture Classic Dobsonian reflector telescope at a very affordable price!
- 8" diameter reflector optics lets you view the Moon and planets in close up detail, and has enough light grasp to pull in pleasing views of faint nebulas, galaxies and star clusters
- A perfect Dobsonian telescope that can last a lifetime for the beginning astronomy enthusiast or whole family
- The ultra-stable Dobsonian base keeps the reflector optical tube perfectly balanced for point-and-view ease of use
Last update on 2020-05-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API